Undocumented Commonwealth Citizens – new guidance for landlords

The Home Office has published new guidance for  landlords dealing with undocumented Commonwealth Citizens in light of the recent revelations about the “Windrush Generation.”

For questions on the guidance or on any aspect of “ Right to Rent Checks” please contact me on

Approved English Language Tests for Immigration Applications

The list of approved tests and providers has been updated as per the link below.


It’s also useful to note the guidance on Identification Requirements for Test Candidates.

New Home Office Forms Introduced on 6th April 2018

You will need to check that you have completed the most recent version of your application form.


For assistance with this or any aspect of your application please contact me on

The Home Office has updated its information for EU nationals

The Home Office has updated its information for EU nationals –

Please contact me if you would like to discuss any of the  issues raised.

Request for Personal Information – Updated Guidance

This could be useful when calculating absences from  the UK for the purposes of applications including those for naturalisation. 

Nationality Document Return Service introduced

This is  good  news for those who want to keep hold of their passports when they apply for British citizenship. The application must be submitted on-line rather than by post and the Applicant will then take their passport and other supporting documents to a participating local authority.

Some positive changes for Tier 4 students

Finally some concrete news for EU nationals

Last week’s Brexit negotiations have ended with  a statement from the Home Office which gives some comfort to EU nationals living in the UK. It confirms that any EU national living in the UK lawfully prior to 29th March 2019 will be able to carry on living here. So we now have the long- awaited “cut off point” for when an EU national must arrive here in order to know that he or she will be able to remain here.

The statement goes on to say that close family members will be able to join an EU national even after The UK has left the EU.

It confirms that the new “ settled status” will not be lost by leaving the UK for less than 5 years and that this status will be easy to apply for.

Those EU citizens who already hold a valid permanent residence card will not need to pay to convert their status in to the new “settled status.”

My advice remains that it is sensible to apply for confirmation of permanent residence if you are eligible  to do so. The Home Office continues to advise that it is not necessary! Confused? Please contact me for more information and for help with making an application.